Growing up I can remember making sugar cookies with my mom and siblings often. It was one of my favorite things to do! So I have tried to carry on the tradition with my kids! This morning they asked if they could stay in their PJ's all day and make cookies! So that is just what we did!
Don't worry it isn't always laughter when we are cooking together... it sounds more like... I want to put that in, it is my turn and so on!
Whenever I get asked to take sugar cookies to a party people always ask for the recipe because it is the BEST, if I do say so myself..he he. The dough even tastes good raw, I know eating cookie dough isn't for everyone but I LOVE IT and it is even better frozen!!
I love my Kitchenaid for making cookies. You can see how I changed the color of my kitchenAid here and you can view a similar one here (affiliate link)
- ¾ c shortening
- ¼ c butter
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2t vanilla
- 3 c flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 t baking powder
Directions: (affiliate links)
- I beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and butter together in my KitchenAid
- In a separate mixing bowl I add flour, salt, baking soda, and cut in shortening with a dough blender until fine crumbs.
- Next I add the flour mixture slowly to sugar mixture and mix together.
- Once everything is mixed up refrigerate for 1 hour, roll out dough to about ¼" thickness with a rolling pin and cut out cookies
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes
Butter Cream Frosting
- 6 c Powdered Sugar
- ¾ c butter softened
- ¼ c shortening
- 6 to 8 Tablespoons milk
- 1 t vanilla
- Mix together and add coloring if desired
This buttercream frosting is delicious as well. It goes on very smooth. It is more of a runny frosting which I like because it blends into each other but it is thick enough to keeps it's shape. You can change the consistency by adding more or less milk. I have also added more powder sugar in the past when I wanted a thicker frosting.
Happy sugar cookie making!!!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
Leave a Reply