Vintage Fold Down Desk

Vintage Fold Down Desk

Before and After, Furniture, Most Popular Posts
My sister found this desk for me at a garage sale and sent me pictures.  I had been wanting to get my hands on one of these for sometime so I bought it.  Since I had just seen pictures of it I was a little worried about the condition when it arrived.  It was missing a leg, luckily I found the missing piece in the drawer.  And as you can see the scratches and dings were very deep.  I wanted to salvage as much of the wood as I could…and so the stripping and sanding began.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy most of the scratches came out!  Are you ready to see the finished piece…..
And here she is all dolled up!
I am so glad I was able to salvage the wood, the grain is so rich.
The wood is stained with Miniwaxes Early American and top coated with a spar urethane in semi-gloss.  I love the contrast of the painted letter shelves.
This is painted with a custom mixed cream, I know I always say that, I am sorry 🙁  I then glazed the painted part and sealed it with a Spar Urethane in Satin.

I am just in love with this little desk!!

My dresser turned bench has been entered into a Competition on Bob Vila …..
I NEED YOUR VOTE!!
You can vote HERE it will only take a few seconds!!
You can follow me here:
 photo instagram_zps88445fe4.png  photo fb_zps5d3a02b1.png  photo twitter_zpsb5c638e9.png  photo pinterest_zps0cdb4597.png

1. Tone
    June 2, 2015 at 6:40 am

Oh wow! That is just lovely! It is amazing that you got to keep the wood! It looks so new and fresh! Great job:) And a great piece of furniture:)

2. Gilly Morrison
    June 2, 2015 at 8:49 am

This is amazing! I always love it when people can restore original wood, especially the two tone look! Gorgeous!

3. Two PlusCute
    June 2, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Very well done!
    It was pretty beaten up but now it is gorgeous.

4. Marie Blackburn
    June 2, 2015 at 6:37 pm

You did a fabulous job on this makeover Brooke! The wood is gorgeous and so worth staining rather than painting.

5. upwithfurniture.com
    June 3, 2015 at 4:36 pm

This is beautiful. I love the colour you chose for the wood. I think it was a good idea to paint the mail slots as they would be difficult to sand and strip.

6. Kimberly Lewis
    June 7, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing it with us. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you tomorrow night at 7 pm. We can't wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

7. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.
    June 9, 2015 at 12:48 pm

A really stunning piece! Love the wood and paint combination. Thanks so much for sharing. Featured you at Be Inspired this morning.

8. Kristine at The Painted Hive
    June 12, 2015 at 11:04 am

That wood is gorgeous! And I adore the custom cream: it has a really lovely earthiness.