Ombre French Lingerie Chest

Ombre French Lingerie Chest

Before and After, DIY & Crafts, Furniture
While most people are familiar with the currently trending ombre hairstyles, you may not be as familiar with ombre painted furniture. Ombre styled furniture is growing just as much in popularity, inspiring my refinished project featuring my ombre French lingerie chest. French lingerie chests can be pretty hard to come by. So, when I saw one at a garage sale for $10, I didn’t even think twice before purchasing it. Let’s take a look at this DIY French lingerie chest.

DIY Ombre French Lingerie Chest

STEP 1: SAND YOUR PIECE

This lingerie chest had been previously painted… with a plethora of paint! It took me about 4 hours of sanding to reach the wood. DIY Ombre French Lingerie ChestSTEP 2: STRIP PAINT (IF NEEDED)

After finally discovering the wood, I stripped all the paint off. We don’t always do this, but the previous paint was scratching and flaking off, which would cause the new coat of paint to do the same. Once the paint was off I was stumped as to what to do with this piece.
My girls’ room had fun bright colors (you can see that here), so I wanted this chest to fit in with out being too wild…
Refinished French Lingerie Chest
It turns out that ombre is the perfect solution for adding color without being too eccentric and wild. I had been oo-ing and ah-ing over ombre furniture for sometime, but never found the right piece, until now! The 6 drawers make this piece the perfect candidate!
Ombre French Lingerie Chest
Ombre French Lingerie Chest

STEP 3: PAINT
Instead of buying several quarts of paint, did you know that you can purchase sample pints for smaller portions? To get my variety of colors for my ombre look I bought 6 sample pints from Clark and Kensington. They run about $5 a pint.
I used these paint colors for the drawers, starting at the bottom:
Country Breeze
Lemon Grass
Goldendale
My Pleasure
Huntley Country
Medina
I used Benjamin Moore’s White Dove for the dresser.
Ombre French Lingerie Chest
STEP 4: UPDATE HARDWARE
I loved the original hardware, but it needed some updating. To update I used Rustoleum’s Metallic White in the gloss finish.
Ombre French Lingerie Chest
I used a dark brown glaze to bring the details out on this dresser. Details like this need to be accented!

Ombre French Lingerie Chest
And here are some more ideas for decor accents.
Farmhouse style decor accents

French style decor accents

French style decor accents
If you are searching for a fun way to bring in color to your furniture, try out the ombre look! It would also look gorgeous in soft blues or pinks.

You might also like…
How to refinish a table top
Vintage Dresser Makeover | Start at Home | Baluster

SaveSave

1. GSGreatEscaper
    May 16, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Totally beautiful, but it's called "ombre." It's french – maybe your spell check corrected it? Anyhow it might be worth correcting so that anyone searching for gorgeous painting will find it….

2. JP
    May 16, 2015 at 3:30 pm

What a transformation…I love the shades from light to dark idea that you created. It is gorgeous!
    JP

3. Vesna (HOME CHIC CLUB)
    May 17, 2015 at 9:10 am

Oh, I love it Brooke! Such a bright and sunny colors, perfect for spring and summer!! Great job!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Hugs,
    Vesna

4. Marie Blackburn
    May 17, 2015 at 3:01 pm

I've been looking for the perfect piece to do an ombre finish as well. You scored the perfect piece – love it Brooke!
    [email protected] Interior Frugalista

5. Kammy Wielenga
    May 22, 2015 at 2:35 am

Simply magnificent! Pinning to the Trash 2 Treasure Highlights board. 🙂

6. Ellen Thompson
    May 22, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I just love your semanier! I certainly wish I could find one.

7. Kimberly Lewis
    May 24, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Hello beautiful! This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7pm because we love to party with you! Happy Memorial Day! Lou Lou Girls

8. Jennelise
    May 26, 2015 at 4:25 am

Beautiful piece! What a neat idea! I'd like to do it in pink 🙂
    Jennelise

9. My thrift store addiction
    May 28, 2015 at 1:14 am

Hi there, saw your stunning feature on Trash to Treasure and had to stop over. It is just gorgeous!

10. The Crowned Goat
    May 29, 2015 at 11:42 pm

this is so beautiful! i love love love it. totally fantastic job and the perfect piece for this style of painting. you nailed it. pinning!

11. Kathryn Ferguson Griffin
    May 31, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Brooke! This piece is stunning!!! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/05/the-sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty_31.html Hope to see you tomorrow for Make it Pretty Monday! Have a beautiful Sunday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

12. Lisa Huff
    June 1, 2015 at 3:55 am

Hi This Ombre Dresser is so beautiful, I just love it. Thank you so much for linking up to our Something To Talk About Link Party and I'll be featuring this tomorrow and sharing on Social Media too. I hope you can join us again, have a great week, Lisa at Concord Cottage

13. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.
    June 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Oh pretty! This was the perfect piece for the ombre look and the yellow is so bright and fresh. Featured you at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

14. Kathryn Ferguson Griffin
    June 7, 2015 at 1:52 am

Hi Brooke! I wanted to let you know that I have a new series that is a compilation of all of the weekly features of all of the parties at The Dedicated House. You of course, were one of those features. Here is the link to the Weekly Feature Series. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/features-from-week.html Pop on over and check out all of the features. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

15. Mary Clark
    August 2, 2015 at 5:40 am

Hi there, beautiful piece! I'm actually looking to build a lingerie chest and this one looks fantastic. What are the dimensions of the chest and the drawers, etc, I'm curious. The size looks perfect and I would love to make one with similar dimensions. It looks amazing, you totally pulled off the ombre perfectly

16. Mary Clark
    August 2, 2015 at 5:41 am

17. Mary Clark
    August 2, 2015 at 5:42 am

Hi there! I happened upon this blog from pinterest, and I gotta say this piece looks amazing! Do you know the dimensions of the chest, drawers etc? I'm looking to build on and this looks like the perfect size. Also, the ombre was pulled off spectacularly. Looks fantastic.

18. Terry
    March 4, 2016 at 6:13 pm

This is a great makeover! I found your link on facebook and just had to pop by for a peek at this gorgeous chest of drawers! Well done! If you are at all interested in joining in on one more link party, I host Making Broken Beautiful every Thursday thru Sunday. It is a furniture and home decor party and I would be so happy to host your talents! I hope you have a great weekend!
    Smiles!