Easy tips for assembling a beautiful vase of faux branches.
Faux branches are often underestimated in home decor. While floral arrangements are lovely, they are not always practical with expenses and the constant need of replacing. Artificial branches are a great way to fulfill the decorating need on a budget-friendly level. Make the most of your greenery with these tips for styling faux branches in a vase.
And make sure to check out my faux plants guide too.
How to Use Faux Branches in a Vase
Putting together decorative branches can be hard with all of the options available. So before you can style your vase, there are a few prerequisites and helpful tips to follow.
Picking the Right Faux Branches
Begin by picking the right branches for your interior designs. Two options to consider are if you need to use horizontal space or vertical space. Picking stems that drape over a vase will take up more of a horizontal space (shop them here). Straight, stiff stems are ideal if you need to take up a tall vertical space.
Determine the Sizing for Your Faux Branches
Next, you will want to determine the sizing you will need for a perfect decorative accent. Measure your space to see how much room you have for your stems.
- Tall Stems - If you need to take up vertical space, stems should be at least 36" tall.
- Shorter, bushy stems - Select stems under 36" tall. If you have your heart set on an arrangement that is too big, wire cutters can be used to cut them down. Bending your branches is also an option, but be mindful. Branches that are too big can alter where the leaves start so cutting the size too much can change the appearance of that perfect decoration.
How to Pick a Stem Color
This step may not sound as important because you are probably assuming that most branches are green. However, stems can come in a variety of colors that can change the look of your accent pieces.
Though most stems are green, the color of green can make a big difference. Think about whether you want a bright green, silvery green, lime green or possibly yellow or mauve. I use all different colors of greenery through out my house.
It is even fun to switch greenery out for the seasons for a stylish touch.
- Winter - dead branches, pine branches
- Spring - faux stems with pink, yellow or white small blooms
- Summer - green stems and flowers
- Fall - orange, yellow, and mauve accents
How to Mix and Match Artificial Stems
Feel free to mix and match your faux branches for a unique arrangement. Choosing all birch branches will definitely depict a different style over a mixture of faux magnolia stems and curly willow branches.
- Branches that are all the same - faux branches create a stream line look.
- Mix - adding a variety of stems brings in more colors and texture.
Here is an example of mixing 4 different stems for a fun variety.
How to Add Faux Branches to a Vase
Now that you have your faux branches collected, you can assemble them together in a vase with the easiest hack EVER (shop stems here). Pick a fun vase to style your stems. A white or black vase are good choices for something neutral. You can also opt for a floor vase if you choose a bigger arrangement.
Find four plastic shopping bags and push them down into the bottom of the vase. You might need a few more plastic bags if the vase is large. Just make sure the bottom is covered.
Next, either cut down your stem with wire cutters or bend your stem to the desired length.
Push your stem down into the grocery bags. This will help the faux branches to stand up straight and stay in place. Continue adding branches to the vase to make it more full. Alternate with different varieties of stems if you are mixing and matching. When your vase is finished, find the perfect place to put it on your front hall table.
Where to Decorate with Faux Branches in a Vase
One of these arrangements can really go anywhere in your home. I've utilized them on my kitchen counter, dining table, on the coffee table in the family room, in the living room, and in the entry way by the front door.
Other Uses for Your Faux Branches
Look at other uses for your stems besides faux branches in a vase.
- Combine faux branches with florals to make a beautiful artificial flower arrangement
- Use branches to make an artificial twig wreath
- Use for craft projects or holiday decorations
- Create a garland and add faux branches
Enjoy putting together faux branches for any room in your home!
Needing a vase to put your faux stems in? Check out this easy tutorial on how to update an old vase.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.