I don’t know about your kids in the summer, but for whatever reason my kids turn into ravenous wolves and eat a ton all day long. Call it boredom, hearty appetites because of the heat, or having friends over. Either way, food disappears when my kids are home in the summer. With a few tips from some readers, I put together my go-to healthy and easy ideas for kid friendly summer snacks to satisfy those insatiable appetites.
Go-To Kid Friendly Summer Snacks
- Make balanced snacks. I like to add cheese, pretzels, grapes and carrots into containers. A little sweet combined with a little salty is an easy way to appease the little ones.
- Pre-cut up veggies and put them in containers in the fridge for easy grab and go. For carrots and celery I put water in the bottom to keep them from drying up.
- Place a container of snacks in the fridge for each child for the day. When their container is gone, the snacks are gone for the day.
- Have a schedule of when you have an “open kitchen”. This way your kids are not eating all day long and your kids know when the kitchen is closed.
- Place a snack basket out in the morning for kids to grab items. When they are gone, they are gone.
- Create a selection of protein picks that can already be cut up or placed in containers in the fridge/cupboard. These can be cold protein picks like summer sausage, turkey pepperoni, or canadian bacon slices. Good dry protein options are nuts.
- Instead of giving your kids popsicles or ice cream to fight the heat, give them frozen go-gurts or frozen grapes for a little more nutrition.
Another tip for kid friendly summer snacks is to keep cold pre-made salads on hand that won’t go bad quickly. One of my favorites is my cucumber salad.
- 2 large cucumbers, skinned
- 1 cup Feta Cheese
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 red onion cut up
- optional: cherry tomatoes
Mix everything into a bowl and serve, or let it marinate overnight. This salad is even better the next day which is why it is a great salad to make and put in the fridge.
Enjoy these tips for kid friendly summer snacks!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
After all who doesn't love a FREE E-Course!!