I have been wanting to redo this deck FOREVER. As you can see it was getting pretty bad. However, I knew that painting a deck would be a big job and I wasn’t quite sure what product to use on it.
DIY Painting a Deck
- First, clear everything off of your painting surface: BBQs, toys, all that junk… be gone! After everything was removed I used the hose to spray off any extra dirt and grime as well as old paint.
- Get your paint supplies ready. To paint the deck I used SuperDeck by Sherwin Williams. This paint is made to seal up old worn wood, ideal for painting a deck! It is a gritty, thick paint so you will want to use a roller or paint brush for application.
- Begin painting! I started with the pergola so if I dripped any paint onto the floor it didn’t matter. Because let’s be honest, I am a pretty messy painter.
Because SuperDeck is thick and gritty it makes it easy to paint with. So, I didn’t have to worry about it running easily and it covered well.
- Once the pergola was complete I started on the railings. I found it easiest to paint the railings with a paint brush.
- Painting the floor and stairs. I used a paint roller to apply the paint. As you can see it is rolling on nicely and covering great. Especially for a white paint!
There is no need for any additional sealer because SuperDeck is a hardy sealant and paint all in one.
I especially love the clean and crisp look of my white deck! It really looks so much better compared to the worn out reddish brown color it was before.
And, I’m an absolute sucker for light strands at night. They really make the space so fun and light.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
After all who doesn't love a FREE E-Course!!