Create a fun young women camp with a unique boho vibe to compliment your theme.
If you follow me on Instagram, you might remember me mentioning when I was in charge of a girls camp for my church. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we hold a fun youth summer camp for our amazing girls ages 12-18. Let me share these fun ideas camp ideas for embellishing your girls camp theme into something really unique.
Most camps are spent camping and doing outdoor activities for part of a week, though sometimes we end up in a cabin. This whole week is put together with great ideas by a few adults and youth camp leaders. We focus activities based on the theme of the camp, like a fun craft, hikes or archery, bonding and games and anything that builds a testimony in Jesus Christ.
Though decorating your camp is not a necessity, I find that it creates a more productive environment for these teenage girls to have fun and learn. It makes it a truly special place for them to want to be. So let's get into how to spice up your camp environment for the best girls camp theme.
Leading Up to Camp
In the weeks leading up to camp, it is so much fun to have a camp kickoff with parents/girls and introduce your theme, a theme song, and handout welcome packets with packing lists and information. You can even address what your ultimate goal is for camp so parents are all on board too.
Choose a Girls Camp Theme
A different theme is picked each year for camp. This year we opted to go with a camp theme of "Ask in faith and then act," and tie it into a Boho decorative style. We incorporated dream catchers into this theme, but called them prayer catchers.
I cut this dream catcher out with my MDF machine to create this welcome sign leading into our camp. It is a great way to set the mood as the girls are arriving at their first day of camp.
Since our theme for camp was "Ask in faith and then act," I had to make a sign that had that on it too!
For the main craft idea I taught everyone how to make their own prayer catchers and we hung them up all over camp for added Boho decoration. They took about two hours to assemble and the girls loved putting them together with their own personal touches and different fabrics.
Supplies for Prayer Catchers
You can buy these supplies at a craft store or ask neighbors and friends to donate fabric scraps.
- 10" Embroidery hoops for the rings
- Jute string for the middle
- 1" Thick long fabric pieces (approximately 20-25 strands for each hoop)
How to Make a Prayer Catcher
- Give each girl an embroidery hoop.
- Use jute string to wrap around the embroidery hoop and to add a design in the middle if desired.
- When your string is wrapped completely around the edge, gather your desired fabric strands for the tails. You will need about 20-25 pieces of fabric for each hoop.
- Knot the strands of fabric onto one end of hoop. It's an easy craft idea to personalize for each girl.
Teepee Signs for Girls Camp Theme
More camp crafts greeted the girls throughout the week. We had unfinished teepee signs with their names hanging from them with their tent assignments. Each group of girls set up their own tent, painted their names with acrylic paint and then decorated their teepees.
Having the girls work on a fun activity is a great way to bring them together and bond with each other.
We even included one for the adult leaders to join in.
Tuck in Treats
The girls love getting nightly goodies at the end of camp each day. Here are the fun things we left for them each day.
- Monday night: Tag - Faith shines brightest in the dark theme. We gave them glow sticks and glow in the dark nail polish
- Tuesday night: Tag - Young Women's Values theme. We tied fold over elastic around them to make hair elastics (I used this tutorial and printable)
- Wednesday night: Tag - Don't ask God to guide your footprints, if you are not willing to move your feet theme. We gave them a foot lick a stick you can buy them here
- Thursday night: We gave them wave rings, you can buy them here
It is helpful to do crafts that the girls will hang on to, rather than throw away a week after they get back home. Making bracelets was the perfect way to fit in with this goal. The girls assembled their own bracelets using jasper beads and attached little dream catcher charms to tie into our theme of asking in faith, then acting. The girls loved making these!
You can also opt to make friendship bracelets and still attach a charm.
Benefits of Girls Camp Theme Ideas
Girls camp is a fun way for the youth to disconnect to cell phones and work schedules and be a part of beautiful nature. Bonding and building relationships with these girls is key. I hope these ideas for a girls camp theme can help to provide you with a little bit of inspiration for your own young women camp.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.