I have gone through a lot of rugs in my life with kids and dogs. Knowing what style to get, as well as size and fabric can be challenging, not to mention overwhelming with all of the options out there. Here are a few tips on picking the perfect rug for your room.
Tips for Picking the Perfect Rug
- Tribal rugs are so much fun to bring in lines to a room. I love them in my kids’ rooms. They are great for adding a bolder print to accent a room.
- If you have kids and pets- try picking a rug with more of a vintage feel and a darker background. The blended colors and darker hues will help to hide inevitable stains.
- Tassels – I do love tassels because they add such a fun texture to a room. But they can be a pain when you are vacuuming. If you own pets that like to chew on things or paw at the carpet, this type of rug may not be the one for you. However, I love them so much I buy rugs with tassels anyway and they have been decently durable.
- Shop sales- Rugs get worn out, or we just get tired of them. When you don’t pay full price it is easier to change them out. Many places offer very decent prices on rugs, especially online. You just need to shop around.
- Mixing and Matching – You can definitely mix up rugs within a space. Just make sure they are the same style and color. For example if you are doing tribal, make sure all the rugs in the room are tribal. It can get busy if you do tribal and vintage in the same area.
- Balance your coloring- If the walls and furniture in your room are bold and bright, you may want to tone down your rug by choosing a neutral pattern/color so it isn’t completely overwhelming when you enter the room. Likewise, if your furniture and walls are neutral then you may want to go a little more bold in your choice of rug accents.
- Don’t be afraid to layer rugs of different sizes and patterns – In my previous living room, I did just that! I used a neutral, larger rug as my base layer, then added a colorful patterned rug on the top to pull out different color accents within the room. See it in detail here.
These are some of my favorites! I do tend to enjoy neutral patterns and colors more because they are so interchangeable.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
After all who doesn't love a FREE E-Course!!