Living Room Turned Office

Living Room Turned Office

Before and After, Decorating & Remodel, My Home

I realized the other day I had shown parts of this room but never really elaborated on it.  I have a feeling this is going to be a big post…. here it goes.

Lets begin with the BEFORE shall we??

As I have said before I don’t love front rooms as we never use them.  So we decided to turn it into an office.  There really isn’t a way to put a wall up to close it off so it had to be a pretty office!

My husband has ALWAYS loved big fancy desks, so the search began.  We found this one on KSL (the local classifieds) for $150.  It is a 6 foot desk and SO HEAVY!  It took 3 big guys to get it in and even at that I didn’t think it was going to make it.  Since it was so big and heavy I refinished the desk where it was going to stay, I didn’t want  it to get messed up when being brought inside.

Here is what it looked like when we got it home….

Now for my favorite part…THE AFTER!!!

The only thing the same in this room is the wood floor, which I love!  They are real pine planks.  I am so glad they were already here, I don’t know if I would have been daring enough to do it on my own but I LOVE THEM.  The best part about them is they are supposed to be distressed so when my daughter rides her bike in here I am not freaking out!
My husband hung all the trim (base, chair rail, window casings and crown molding)  I love the personality it adds to the room.  The dark color in this room is perfect to make the moldings pop.  I felt okay doing such a dark color in this room because of all the windows.

The paint color for the walls is Dansbury Downs by Pratt and Lambert, and the molding color is White Dove by Benjamin Moore.

This little chest is made from real barn wood.  I love the character.  My mother in law gave it to me when Devin and I got married.  We were in desperate need of furniture, at the time it was red!  I refinished it after we moved here, I am so in love with the charm this piece adds!

You may recognize this piece, it was my first chalk paint project.  I love everything about this wall.  I have wrote a in depth post/tutorial on this wall and how I did everything here.

Notice the vicious guard dog!

Here is the desk after!  I couldn’t be more happy with the elegance it brings to the room!  At first I thought I wanted a rug…but I love how it looks on the floor.  I think I will just get 2 chairs to go in front of it!

and my picture wall….I love it!  It makes me smile every time I look at it, mainly because it displays the 3 most important things in my life!  Here is my post all about my picture wall.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and a HAPPY EASTER

Monday:Mod Vintage Life*C.R.A.F.T*Mad In Crafts*Lines Across My Face*DIY Home Sweet Home*Singing Three Little Birds*Crafts Keep Me Sane*Its So Very Cheri*Made with love monday*Making monday marvelous*Pink hippo party*The DIY showoff*Motivate me monday*Craftastic monday*Mad Skills*Making the World Cuter*Made by you mondays*Just something I whipped up mondays*Market yourself monday*Show it of Monday*A Round Tuit*Meet Me Monday*Whats in the Gunny Sack*More the Merrier Monday*Do it ya Self*Creative Me Monday*Craft O ManiacTuesday:Anti-Procrastination*Tuesday Tutorial*Sew Cute Tuesday*Anything Related*Anything goes*Crafty Lassie*Take a Look TuesdayWednesday: Grateful Belly DIY by Design*Rae Gun Ramblings*Blue Cricket Design*Domestically Speaking*The Trendy Treehouse*Savvy Southern Style*Southern Lovely*Oopsey Daisy*Creative Share*Sugar and Spice*We did it!*Show & Tell*Be Inspired*Whatever goes Wednesday*Upcycled Awesome*Lil Luna link PARTAY*ReCreate Thursday: The Shabby Creek Cottage*Somewhat Simple*The Charm of Home*Strut your Stuff*Transformation Thursday*Show off your Stuff*Giveaway Directory*A crafty soiree*We can do it cheaper*Hooking up with HoH*Make it Wear it*It’s stinkin’ cute crafts*DIY Diva Thursdays*Crazy Cute Thursdays*Thingamajig Thursday  Friday: The Shady Porch*At the Picket Fence*French Country Cottage*2805 – Potpourri Friday*Common Ground*LaurieAnna’s Vintage Home*Stuff and Nonsense*The Shabby Nest*Miss Mustard Seed*Finding Fabulous*Jillify It*Thirty Handmade Days*504 Main*Fancy this Fridays*Finding fabulous*It’s a hodge podge Friday*Look at me I’m so crafty*Creation Corner*Friday Flair*Show and Tell Friday*Creative Genius*Shine on Fridays*Free for All Fridays*The Grant LIfe Saturday:Weekend Wrap up Party*Saturday nite special*Show and Tell Saturdays*Weekend Soiree*Scrappy Saturdays*Six Sisters Stuff*Funky Junk Interiors*Be Different Act Normal*Candace Creations*Nutmeg Place Sunday:Think Pink Sundays*Under the Table and Dreaming*I Heart Nap Time*The DIY Showoff*Nifty Thrifty Things

1. Emily
    April 7, 2012 at 12:46 am

I love everything you've done in this room. That pine flooring is to.die.for! I'm now your newest follower, too 🙂

2. Patty (Patty's Pretty Things)
    April 7, 2012 at 2:08 am

Your room is beautiful! You did a great job and I can see why you are so proud of it!

3. delightfuleclecticabode.com
    April 7, 2012 at 2:19 am

Love, love, love it! What a magnificent transformation. Love the wall color because it really makes everything else pop! I could use your help at my house.

~Sandy

4. ℳartina @ Northern Nesting
    April 7, 2012 at 3:39 am

Now that's one pretty looking office! I LOVE all your painted pieces and that plank wall is fabulous, I love it!

5. Colleen
    April 7, 2012 at 3:44 am

WOW, you are good! Your room and entryway look like they're from a magazine.

6. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com
    April 7, 2012 at 4:19 am

Hi! Visiting from tt&j. What an amazing transformation! I want to live in that room.. its so beautiful! And I love the colors too.. perfect 🙂

Im going to poke around your site a little bit. I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party!

7. Marie
    April 7, 2012 at 4:32 am

BROOKE!!!!!! I love your home. It is absolutely gorgeous. This room is so beautiful. You have amazing taste and you are so talented, and I think it's so awesome that Devin has been so helpful with your remodel. Wow!!!! That's all I can say. I have loved your home tour. You inspire me!

8. [email protected] Your Home
    April 7, 2012 at 6:21 am

Gorgeous, I love it all, you did an amazing job!

9. Helen Philipps
    April 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I love your home and the way you have re designed it…absolutely beautiful! Love the little cupboard made from barn wood, that is so special!
    Helen x

10. Eileen
    April 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Wow Brooke, what a difference. This room looks great. I love the floor and love no rug. the big white desk on the pine flooring is gorgeous!
    Love all the other elements too, especially the book page wreath!
    [email protected] Cottage Beach House

11. dee dee
    April 8, 2012 at 2:56 am

Happy Easter Brooke!
    Wonderful office, love that big desk and all your accents!
    dee dee

12. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog
    April 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

What a beautiful space Brooke! I pinned it because I love the color scheme on your gallery wall and the 3 main furniture pieces all in their white shades are just perfect. I agree, no need for a rug, those floors are fab!! Happy to be featured with you at tt&j. Happy Holiday weekend!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

13. stoneandrose.com
    April 8, 2012 at 4:03 pm

What a beautiful office space! I love everything you did in here. Have a great Easter!!

Catherine {Stone and Rose}

14. Lauras Crafty Life
    April 9, 2012 at 2:43 am

Your office is gorgeous. I love that you made it look so nice since you couldn't really close it in! The colors and all of the pieces you have in there are beautiful!

15. Elyse
    April 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Amazing before and after….as always!

16. Comeca Jones
    April 11, 2012 at 1:26 am

I love the use of space!

17. Mique (as in Mickey)
    April 13, 2012 at 3:21 am

This is amazing! I'll be featuring it on my Pity Party tomorrow. Thanks for linking up!

18. Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers
    April 13, 2012 at 5:01 am

Oh my gosh this transformation is amazing! You did a fabulous job with this. I love the wall color and the accent color. Just love it all.

19. kris
    April 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love your room! The color is fantastic, and I really like the trim and crown moulding.

20. Anne
    April 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Love it, all the colours and the furniture and the look – fabulous!

21. Melissa
    April 15, 2012 at 1:41 am

I love EVERYTHING about this room! What an amazing transformation! I'm your newest follower!

22. Corn in my Coffee-Pot
    April 16, 2012 at 2:42 am

Hi Brooke- I don't know for sure;but I think this is my first time here.
    This is a dramatic change from the beginning photo to the last photo! Very impressive. I think a couple of chairs, like you said, in that room would be the icing on the cake!
    The colors, the wall, that desk! It all looks so fabulous and nicely done!

nice to meet you, Pat

23. To The Moon and Back
    April 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hi Brooke! This is my first visit to your blog. I love your room and all the details…..thanks for sharing:)

24. Camille @ Makoodle.com
    April 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Darling! Great taste. I love your colors and accessories.

25. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
    April 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

this is gorgeous, too! i am having fun poking around! 🙂

26. kelsey
    June 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Love your room! I want to do something very similar to our unused front room so put in a search of front rooms turned office and your blog popped up. Never thought about putting a desk facing out…

27. kelsey
    June 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm

28. vsangel
    October 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Love the wall color. What is it?

29. Amy Cummings
    January 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm

May I ask what the wall color is? I am in love with this whole room!!!!

30. Mary Beth
    March 1, 2013 at 12:01 am

what is the blue color you use on the dresser? This room is beautiful… you have done a great job!!

31. Mary Beth
    March 1, 2013 at 12:02 am

What is the blue color on the dresser. You have done a great job… the room is beautiful!