Dandelion Hand Painted Dresser

Dandelion Hand Painted Dresser

DIY & Crafts, Furniture

Sometimes, staining or re-painting that old piece of furniture just doesn’t cut it. I have refinished loads of furniture in my life and sometimes, you just want to do something unique and fun to satisfy that creative streak, like my colorful ombre dresser. Hence, my dandelion hand painted dresser came into being!

Dandelion Hand Painted Dresser

I will start out by saying I am NOT an artist.  So my first dandelion hand painted dresser took me awhile to get all the dimensions right, figure out placements and figure out the easiest way to paint a dandelion. Once I finished it I couldn’t part with it. You can view my full post here.

Hand Painted Dandelion Dresser

However, it was so popular that when I brought the other dresser (below) home my husband suggested doing dandelions on this one as well. He has great ideas sometimes!

Since this dresser has 4 drawers instead of 3, I had to figure out how to cover the top drawer without making my dandelions look too big, wild and out of place. A blowing dandelion was the perfect solution and it made it different from my original chest.

Hand Painted Dandelion Dresser

The wood grain is beautiful on this dresser, creating the perfect backdrop for these dandelions. I painted the frame of this dresser with Benjamin Moore’s White Dove and lightly distressed the edges. I stained the front of the drawers with Jacobean by Minwax. Next, I sealed this piece with a waterbased polyurethane. This seems to hold up the best with my kids. Opting for glass knobs helped to not cover up the dandelions too much.

Hand Painted Dandelion Dresser

One big change I made was to replace the top of this dresser. Unfortunately, there was some water damage and the veneer was peeling. I tried to salvage the old top, but peeling the veneer off was going to be a very time consuming job. So, replacing it seemed to be the best option. At Lowe’s they carry pine panels that are already joined together (here). So all I had to do was cut it down to the size, route the edges, paint it and reattach it.

Hand Painted Dandelion Dresser

And I just love these caster wheels!  They add so much character and charm to this little dresser.

Hand Painted Dandelion Dresser

I love how this hand painted dandelion dresser turned out!  It sold at my last vintage market! For more DIY tutorials, see my youtube channel here.

You might also like…

This DIY Pallet Top Table

DIY Pallet Top Table

or my DIY dresser turned bench tutorial.

DIY Dresser Turned Bench Tutorial

Powered by Seva

1. Angela
    April 26, 2016 at 9:50 am

What a cute dresser! Thanks for sharing at Merry Mondays!

2. Shirley Wood
    April 26, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Normally we don’t like dandelions but this is different! Love this. So glad you shared with us at Merry Monday. I’m sharing this post on my FB page today.

3. Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage
    April 27, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I love the dandelions on the drawers, so light and airy! I’m debating about something on a chest I need to paint, but haven’t quite figured it out yet! You did a great job!

4. Terry
    April 28, 2016 at 11:27 pm

WOW! This is absolutely beautiful! You did a stunning job turning this into a work of art! You staged it so pretty, well done! If you would like to share this or any other makeover at one more party, Making Broken Beautiful (runs every Thursday thru Sunday) is happening over at The Curator’s Collection right now and I’d be honored to host your talents! I hope you have an amazing day!
    Smiles!
    Terry

5. Keri
    April 30, 2016 at 11:09 am

Brooke, I love, love these dandelion dressers!!! You did a great job on this!! I have to use stencils to get good results when it comes to painting details. Lol. I would like to invite you to link up to our party, Sweet Inspiration, happening right now. Hope to see you there.

6. Dee
    May 1, 2016 at 3:42 am

That is so adorable — love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday!

7. Susie
    May 2, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Oh my goodness, this is just major league adorable and it fits so beautifully with your decor. I do love love love the dandelion blowing in the wind. It gives it such a natural feeling of movement. It’s a fun fun piece and I applaud your handpainting. Thanks so much for linking to Friday’s Furniture Fix. We love having you share with us. Susie form The Chelsea Project

8. Wow, Brooke, they both are gorgeous! What a lovely look for an otherwise plain dresser. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen

9. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.
    May 3, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Your dandelion dressers are just charming, Brooke! Featured you at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

10. Cecilia MyThriftStoreAddiction
    May 4, 2016 at 12:22 am

Hi Brooke, this is just the cutest thing ever! The design is simple, yet elegant–great job! Blessings, Cecilia

11. JaneEllen
    May 4, 2016 at 6:08 am

Good thing I never got to see this dresser, your buyer would have been out of luck. Last year Goodwill had one very similar and I let hubs talk me out of it. What is there about those little casters on a high boy I love so blasted much?
    How you painted that high boy is incredible and sure wish I had it. Where did you get wonderful idea of staining drawers then painting dandelions on front, too awesome girl. Was thinking this might be perfect decoration to paint on front of our “new to us” dresser turned into tv stand.
    Had to do some smooth talking to get hubs to buy dresser at our local thrift store for $20, then to put casters on stand. Once we got them on he saw why I wanted them so badly. Partly due to stand being on carpet and need to move it now and then. But it needs some little thing to give it some zing, gotta have some zing. Is painted very light gray, as our walls, so thought painting dandelions in couple shades darker gray would be just what it needs. Let me know what you think of that idea since am “borrowing” your idea.
    Have great rest of week

12. Helen Fern
    May 4, 2016 at 4:03 pm

I love this!! It would be great if you would share this on the DIY blog hop!

13. Mary-the boondocks blog
    May 5, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Brooke this is one special piece. It is rustic, farmhouse and whimsical all at the same time. The wood makes it look so cozy while the dandelions give it a fun airy feel. Thank you for sharing with us over at Sweet Inspiration.

14. Colette
    May 6, 2016 at 11:33 am

The dandelion blowing in the breeze made me want to “make a wish”. Lovely

15. Jen @ upcyclednest
    May 13, 2016 at 1:23 pm

It’s a beautiful dresser! I love how the blowing dandelion brings in the top drawer without you having to make the other dandelions too tall.

16. Sue Burke
    May 16, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Brooke, this is beauiful! What did you use to paint the dandelions?

• startadmin
      June 19, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Hi Sue,
      I hand painted these flowers with a cream latex paint!

17. Hi Brooke! Just wanted to let you know that your dresser has been chosen as Vintage Charm’s Feature of the Month for May! Congratulations! I hope you’ll stop by the Vintage Charm Party tomorrow morning and see your feature! xoKathleen

18. Nancy
    September 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Gorgeous. I can see why it sold!